Sunday, May 1, 2011

bfa opening show & talks


Another year, another fabulous BFA show! This year I decided to wear a semi-formal dress as opposed to last years wardrobe (which was a pair of jeans with some band t-shirt) to the BFA/MFA opening a few weeks ago. The BFA students never fail to impress me, and this year was quite the refreshing treat. I was blown away by the candidates work displayed in the museum, and there were a few exhibited paintings I remembered so long ago being a work in progress in the studios. The overall atmosphere of the show was outrageously full of activity with the to-and-fro clientele occupying much of the space. I decided to arrive earlier than I did last year, which was the beginning hour of the show.

Although I enjoyed everyone’s work, I particularly loved Katie’s productions. Her paintings have an astonishing command of composition, color, and charisma – the three deadly C’s. She has a peculiar aesthetic exploration for color in space, being able to compose interiors as a sequence of color comparisons. Josh was another BFA candidate who had produced works different from the others. As a 3D artist, it was interesting to hear his approach to art unlike the 2-dimensional art world I live in. It was intriguing to witness a collaboration of wood and metal, jointing together to create something organic and consistent. An interesting fact about his work: Josh personally bent the wood in order to compose the unique forms of his innovations. I know I wouldn’t be able to do accomplish the same feat, and not because I’m all skin and bones with no muscles to spare!

On the other hand I also particularly favored two MFA candidates at the show – Youngsheen and Nicole – for their aptitude for colors and their exploration for an approach to take. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to attend the MFA talks, due to a mythology test I had to take at the same hour. Why must my class schedule conflict with ArtBreak talks… Oh well, at least I was able to make a BFA talk, and I’m definitely planning to attend the next one on May 4th with Elizabeth Beaudoin. (I hope my mythology teacher doesn’t kill me for skipping class for it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment